Thursday, May 24, 2012

3D has got to stop!!!


Since the Avengers has come out, I've gone to see it twice more, only to find myself not able to get into the regular showing as it was sold out. The second time, it wasn't sold out, but it was so full, I couldn't sit next to my friend and then it sold out about 5 minutes later (after I got my refund). While getting my refund, the girl at the theatre counter informed me that I could go see the 3D version which was under half full, which sends me a pretty clear message. If one theatre is overflowing, and the somewhat larger 3D showing theatre is under half full, perhaps it's time give more showings of the non 3d version. Not to mention the fact that there are two showings in regular (I refuse to call it 2D...because we never had to call it that before this 3D gimmick), while we have 3 3D showings. The latest of our regular showings is at 7:30pm...which for me personally is impractical, as every movie here in town is usually 9-9:40.

The point I'm trying to make, is that we are being strong armed into watching the movie in 3D, whether we want to or not. The midnight showing of the Avengers, here in Fredericton, was in two theatres, both doing 3D showings. The kicker is that the 3D in all of these movies is considered to be at it's best when it's unobtrusive. Meaning that 3D is literally making movies worse, and the best 3D movies are the ones that are ruining the movie the least. It's not fun to wear plastic sunglasses in a dark theatre. It adds nothing to the movie, and anything short of Avatar and computer generated movies have not improved at all from these so called upgrades. Essentially, we all know that we are getting screwed into paying more money, without the slightest concern about what we're paying extra for.

Why is it that only now do I stand on my soap box about this issue? I do this because I read this. Now whether you care about G.I. Joe or not, to take a movie out of the theatres a month before it's release to tack 3D on to it so it will make more money by scamming the ticket cost up is unethical, and I wouldn't be surprised if the studios use this idea more times in the future.

For all of my complaints about Nolan's Batman movies (which again, I like as movies, but am not impressed with as Batman movies), I gotta give Nolan props for flat out telling the studios NO to 3D. He was very proud to tell the media this fact, and he had every right to be.

So what do we do about it? Vote with our dollars. I'm seriously telling you to go out of your way to see a regular screening of the movie you want to see, and if they only have a 3D showing, don't see it (or don't pay to see it). The irony is that the 3D thing is to make it so that movies won't be cammed as easily and thus can help stop piracy, but for me, a person who's given so much money to the film industry, I'm done with 3D and am seriously considering going that route. The only way to kill it is to prevent it from being the money making machine that it is. I'd rather pay more for regular screenings than pay anything for 'so called' 3D.

No comments:

Post a Comment