Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Anti-Social Network


"Hey Jon! Use Facebook! It's so cool, it helps you keep in touch with your friends!"

Yeah, that's the false pretence in which I was introduced to Facebook. I always thought it would be neat to see how a friend that I hung out with a handful of times during high school would be doing ten years later. Not to mention watching to see who has had kids and who married who (and who still has their hair). I also enjoyed seeing pictures of fun things that friends and I did together. It is a constant reminder of where you have been and how you've dealt with certain times of your life. To me the initial idea was to be able to be a 70 year old and literally have your life flash before your eyes any time you want it to. The problem however, was that Facebook had different plans for itself.

First off, let it be said that I don't give a rats ass about your fictional farm. I don't care if you're in the middle of a fictional gang war, and most importantly I don't want to be automatically added to your bullshit group. Seriously, whatever happened to getting an invite and deciding for yourself. Facebook has seen dollar signs and if you notice, the layout keeps changing more and more to make the cool things about Facebook less cool less and to accommodate the things that make Facebook worse. It's bullshit!

At this point, if people would just start using Google +, I'd abandon Facebook completely. I like it's no nonsense approach. I like how I can make people I hardly know into just an acquaintance. I like that I can add semi celebrities onto my follow list, and I love how I can post for specific groups only to see it. Let's call a spade a spade here. If you have 200 people on your Facebook as your Facebook friends, chances are about 150 of them are acquaintances you never talk to.

Now, I need to point the finger elsewhere for a minute. Remember what I said that I liked about Facebook? That I could keep in touch with people and see what they are up to for years to come. The people using Facebook are as much idiots as the people controlling it. First off, so many religiously play Facebook's rinkydink games for 25% of their day (I'm looking at you Canadian government). Facebook has changed their focus because you people have showed them that it works! It's really your fault! Secondly it's called Facebook. Face....book. STOP POSTING PICTURES YOU THINK ARE FUNNY AS YOUR GODDAMN PROFILE PICTURE! I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR KIDS LOOK LIKE...and so on and so on. Post pictures of yourself as your profile picture. I don't care what the picture looks like but it should at very least have you in it. Make an album for those other things. The site is set up for it, you know. Finally, stop changing your names. For you idiots who think you are being super original making your name Ivana Humpalot, I want you off my friends list immediately. The important point of being able to check in with people you know, is to know who these people you know are! Duh!

Anyway, Facebook and it's users are pretty terrible. I saw someone refer to Google plus users as hipsters the other day. To that I retort with the following...Go play Farmville you twat!

No comments:

Post a Comment