Friday, January 13, 2012

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3/X360, 2010)

I love Assassin's Creed 2! That game does it all. It starts you off at birth, and takes you near the end of Ezio's story. When they announced Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, I was sceptical. Great, I thought, they are doing spin-offs already. After playing some of Assassin's Creed Bloodlines on the PSP, I've seen how non interesting that can be. Then, they announced online multiplayer. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I can't stress enough, that not all games need online multiplayer!!! Dead Space does not need multiplayer, Resident Evil does not need multiplayer and above all else, Assassin's Creed REALLY doesn't need multiplayer. I decided, I wouldn't purchase this game, on grounds that I'll wait for Assassin's Creed 3. After all, to me, Desmond Miles is what the Assassin's Creed series revolves around. Altair and Ezio from the first two games, were just parts of the story and I felt they were done.

Well, that was all well and good, until the game was about to come out, and all of the critics were raving about how great the multiplayer was, and how the single player campaign itself was actually greatly improved. My love for Assassin's Creed 2 got the best of me, so alas, I went out there and got it. One year later, the wicked Assassin's Creed Revelations trailer made me feel like playing it. Here's how that went.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is in no way shape or form better than Assassin's Creed 2. Assassin's Creed 2 from start to finish feels like something special, while Brotherhood feels like something extra. They added a few neat features, like being able to call in assassin's to take care of enemies at almost any time, but the game just reeked of being a cash grab. The narrative, which is something this series has been really going above and beyond on, is very much a secondary thing too. Here's the summary of the plot. Those darn inbred Borgias are bad...lets make an army of assassins to stop them. Only in the last minutes does this game do anything interesting, by taking a large step in the story of Desmond, leading to a cliffhanger ending.

If I was ranking this game as an average game, I would say it's pretty good. It definitely is. However, it has to be judged on the entire Assassin's Creed series as a whole. Brotherhood, to me, felt pretty half assed, and lacked the excitement of the previous two. Sadly, though, this disappointment doesn't end there.

Multiplayer in this game is abysmal. I tried hard to get into it, being a fan of the Assassin's Creed controls, but somehow they took those controls out and made it into a yawn inducing game of tag. You want to fight someone else? No can do, you just get to tap the kill button. Oh no, someone is trying to kill you. Do you try to fight back? Nope, the game won't give you the option. You need to run away. The whole thing felt a little too situational for me, and so I was only able to stand through 3 full death-matches before shutting Assassin's Creed Brotherhood off, forever.

This game really hurt this series, and if I didn't buy Revelations before playing through Brotherhood, I probably wouldn't have bought it at all. I only recommend this game to people who need to see where the storyline is going, otherwise Assassin's Creed 2 will give you all of the joy you'll ever need from the series, for under ten bucks.
This is not nearly as fun as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment