Monday, August 8, 2011

Odd-job Jon.


In this day and age we have to work an awful lot to make a living, but I figured it may be fun to discuss a few jobs I've had that are a little too stupid or strange for words. I'm hoping that if you have any funny or just weird job experiences you could share them in the comments section.

As I'm typing this I'm actually doing one of my odd jobs. At the moment I'm a confined spaces attendant. Basically what that means is that I watch a hole in the ground for 10 hours and sign people in and out of it, while lowering an air quality tester into it every hour. Confused? Let me explain it better. I sit in my car for 10 hours and play with my iPhone. Honestly, this one isn't that weird compared to others, but that's my Monday to Thursday life at the moment.

The best of my not so normal jobs was at a particular site. I was told by the employer that I could have people visit on site, sleep or do whatever I wanted really, so often times it consisted of playing PSP and ordering pizza. While I never did sleep, it was always a great job for being well rested!

A past job experience that is somewhat noteworthy is working in any call center. This is something I highly don't recommend, unless you really hate yourself, then it's the perfect job! The most interesting thing however that I was ever able to do was talk down to a certain Backstreet Boy's little brother. I won't say the company I was working for, but I will say that by the end of the call, this poor bugger was almost begging for my approval. I wasn't exactly rude per sey, but I stand by the ideal that if you are gonna throw around your star power, you probably should make sure you have some star power.

Honestly, for all of the many jobs I've had there was one that stood out above the rest. I did some work for a construction company as a basic sweeper. How do you mess that up? Well, one of the guys who sorta was a supervisor to me, must have been an Aaron Carter fan, cause I'm pretty sure he lived his days to make me miserable. When sweeping sawdust off of floors becomes sweeping puddles around on the roof WHILE IT'S BLOODY WELL RAINING, it may be time to quit your job. I mean it, I was supposed to just move them around basically. In hindsight, I should have just said no, but, then again, I wouldn't have this story to tell. In the end when I finally did quit, I'd love to say I went out in a blaze of glory, but I didn't. I did however stand up to that jerk and storm off, awesomely being offered a better job where I wouldn't have to work near him. I can live with that.

The moral of this of course, is when things don't go your way, flip out, and get offered a better job! If that isn't a life lesson I don't know what is. Also, in my case I find that having a friend in close proximity with a boom box, set to play a badass theme song really helps. For me, Blizzards, Buzzards and Bastards by scissorfight works great!

Anyway, that's my pointless post of the day! Post your terrible job experiences below, and tell me how you quit them, or how you plan to quit them! Life is too short for bullshit!

2 comments:

  1. I worked for a communications company that was more interested in selling overpriced, useless warranties than the products they covered (I use the term "covered" loosely considering the warranties didn't actually protect against anything)

    It takes a certain type of person to be a "successful" salesperson in today's retail world; and I am happy to say, that after ten years - I am no longer considered to be a successful salesperson.

    I can walk away knowing that I made my mark - made many people happy and excited about their purchases, and I know that they didn't feel pressured into anything they didn't want. I can sleep at night... and you're right in saying that life is far too short for Bullshit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I've seen the seedy underbelly of retail before too. When you start compromising your beliefs to pay the bills it's really not worth it, but we all have to pay the bills somehow.

    ReplyDelete