Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Netflix Activities - August 28th 2011

When Netflix first came to Canada it was only good for one thing. Mad Men. Sadly, to date I've only just made it to season 4, not because I don't like the show, but because my girlfriend is up to date on it and she's always around, hogging my free time!

Basically, her and I have been watching so many movies on there that I feel like I could be using it to take up some space on my blog. However, most movies on Netflix that I'm watching really aren't destination movies to read reviews about. So what I want to do is for the most part just write a quick blurb about some movies I've caught on Netflix. Quick reviews for things that are on there.

Mirrors (2008)

I've never watched 24, so I didn't care that Keifer Sutherland was in this movie, but I am a pretty big fan of Alexandre Aja, whom I would name the ballsiest horror filmmaker in this day and age. He seems to take genuine joy dealing with really nasty emotions.

The plot of Mirrors is that there is something evil in mirrors and it kills you. One man tries to stop it, and you get a pretty typical twist, that really is brilliant when compared to every other horror movie ending in this day and age. This movie is flat out gory, and as they advertised it so strongly, it may not shock you to hear that the scene where Sarah Polly rips her own jaw off, is really discomforting and thus very successful. It's not too bad, and worth a watch. However, given the choice, I'd watch anything else Aja has made, such as The Hills Have Eyes remake or Haute Tension AKA High Tension.

Carriers (2009)

Chris Pine is cool. Piper Perabo is hot. EVERYONE is stupid. This is a movie about a plague that overcomes most of the human population. We follow a small group of people who we are supposed to believe were smart enough to survive when no one else did, and then they take off their breathing masks at the drop of a hat constantly. Any guesses what happens? It's a shame, because it really could have been played with a strange sense of beauty as it's almost a road trip movie, between two brothers trying to go where they were happy when they were kids, but that didn't really happen. Not a great movie, not even a good movie really, but watchable.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006)

There are a lot of documentaries worth watching on Netflix. This one really isn't needed unless my next statement is shocking in any way to you. Movies with sex in them are almost always treated more harshly than movies with violence. If this is a new idea, you need to see this now! If it's an observation you made when you were 12, like I did, just move on. I swear, it's mostly about a private detective talking about how she is a lesbian and can't be any other way. That's a great sentiment, but again, I know.

Cropsey (2009)

Now this is an example of a better documentary you could be watching. On one hand, you could say this is a movie about a strange series of child killings, which it is, or you could say it's about two young people trying really hard to make a successful documentary. I found both levels to be compelling. I don't know who the filmmakers were, but it felt like they were probably fresh out of film school and trying to make a name for themselves, however what's interesting to me was that they found themselves involved in something much bigger than the both of them. It's interesting also to see varying opinions presented that make sense so you are left with inconclusive feelings of whether a certain person is a child killer or not. That's scary stuff! Really interesting and very worthwhile.

I've watched a lot more than that recently and will write about them at some point, but I just wanted to drop a few of them on you for now, so let me know what you think of this, possibly reoccurring thing, and if you've seen some great stuff (like Dear Zachary) on Netflix, or even just pretty good stuff, please post it in the comments and I'll check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment