Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Welfare of a Nation.

There are many who live their comfortable lives with no grasp of the problems that are still actually out there. For example, I have lived my entire life living in a relatively small city that always seemed clean, quiet and safe. I had no idea that there were so many mentally unstable and homeless in the downtown area until recently. The system is set up in a way to keep them there. They aren't given any incentive to try to make changes for themselves and depressingly enough, a lot of them are using their monthly welfare cheques, paid for by our tax dollars to buy drugs. In that respect the government is funding addiction and homelessness with our tax dollars. Wouldn't that money be better spent on some sort of home care service to try and put these people back on track? I know this could be done as it's a similar idea to how our system helps the disabled. I would even go as far as to argue that many of these people are disabled people who fell through the cracks.

My real issue here is not with the people who can't help themselves, as they really need something in place to keep them on the straight and narrow, so much as the people who don't want to help themselves. I personally know a few people who are more or less living off the system as a free ride. They sleep in shelters for only a small portion of their welfare cheque and try to convince others to buy them drugs and other things when they are low on funds.

This is why I feel to clean up the streets we need some form of social care system to help those who want to be helped, as I know they exist, and let those who don't want to be helped sleep in the bed they've made. I can't justify giving 30% of my paycheck to a government who helps people buy drugs and Listerine. We are taxed hard here in Canada and we smile and brag about our badass healthcare system, but maybe it's time to reexamine how that money is being spent. I'm cool with being taxed if it's in the name of making this beautiful country a better place.

I need to clarify though, obviously we can't just leave those who don't want to be helped out in the cold, as much as I believe in a certain degree of tough love. I just feel, that if you want free money, maybe you should be showing that you actually want to do well with it.

This system does not and is never gonna work as long as the policy makers have their heads up in the clouds. Unfortunately, I'm just some naive lower mid-class person who doesn't like what he sees, and maybe I'm bitter because I haven't given up and won a prize as so many do.

I'm frustrated, and maybe it's time for something new. I bet I get some hate for this one, but I'm standing by it.

2 comments:

  1. Let people hate if they want to but I agree 100% For every person or family that truly need social assistance, there is one person/family that take advantage of the system and disrespect its intended purpose.

    Call me out for saying so, but I have seen it with my own eyes and those that deny it are either very naive or are among those that are abusing social assistance.

    Pardon me for being so strongly opinionated on the subject but I am adult student who is taking the steps to improve my quality of life, as well as hoping to contribute to society by entering the medical field, and (crossing my fingers here) entering a higher tax bracket to increase my contribution to the city/province/Country etc...

    Take a wild guess on how much help I get by doing this? I get a student loan that covers my tuition and books, plus a teeny, tiny kick back to live off of. Sounds like they have me all settled doesn't it? The government thinks that I can support myself with 3000.00 over the span of 5-6 months.

    So, like any self-respecting member of society - I tell myself that my part-time job will cover the rest of the expenses I will run into. Come to find out that any money I make will directly cut into the amount I will receive from Student Loans...

    Don't forget that this money is all expected to be paid back, with interest...

    So while we have people that sit at home with some fake excuse for needing social assistance, getting subsidized housing, while they smoke pot and watch Jerry Springer all day - I am left wondering if I am going to be able to even continue my studies moving forward. And all I wanted to do was get into the medical field so that I can help my community even more.

    I don't want pity. I don't want anyone putting an arm around me and feeling sorry for me. I know that compared to many - I actually have it pretty good. I know that there are families that can barely afford to work because gas is too expensive, insurance is insane, they financed a car from a high-interest dealership that is charging 28% on an 8000.00 car; turning it into a 12000.00 car.

    I can go on all day listing scenarios that have people in ruts. I just wish, like you Blizzard, that people would stop getting a free ride when they don't deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly where I'm coming from! The more you put in in life the less you seem to get, and it seems to work the opposite way. At some point our generation needs to take over and do something about this. Thanks for posting and take comfort (or discomfort) in knowing that you are not alone in this!

    ReplyDelete